If you can’t find the answers you’re looking for on the website, you can contact the Employee Pensions administration team. If you can email in the first instance it really helps.

If you do not have access to email, you can either telephone or write to the team, but it may take a little longer than normal to answer your call or respond to your letter.


01793 655131 (9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday)


Employee Pensions
Nationwide Building Society
Nationwide House
Pipers Way
SN38 2GN

If you’re a Pensioner and have a query on your pension, you can telephone ‘AskHR’ on 01793 556808 and select ‘option 1’ (9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday).

If you have a complaint, you should contact Employee Pensions in the first instance who will work with you to try and resolve the matter.

In the event that you're unhappy with the outcome, the Trustee has a formal Internal Dispute Resolution Procedure (IDRP) that deals with the resolution of disputes between the Trustee, members of the Scheme and beneficiaries.